Roster Resource’s Closer Depth Chart will be updated no later than 12PM EST each day.
*Roster Resource’s MLB Power Ranking is based on Year-To-Date Production using several weighted categories.
Notable Closer Workloads (8/18/17) *Likely replacement if unavailable listed in parentheses
- Wade Davis, CHC: 3 of last 4 days; 10 pitches yesterday (Davis is likely available; if not, Justin Wilson)
- Greg Holland, COL: Back-to-back days; 25 pitches yesterday (Adam Ottavino)
Notable Closer Injuries
- Jeurys Familia, NYM (60-Day DL. Arterial clot in shoulder; retro 5/11/17) Update: Will begin a rehab assignment on Tuesday August 15th.
- Koda Glover, WSH (60-Day DL. Lower back tightness/rotation cuff inflammation, retro 6/11/17) Update: No timetable for return.
Running Out Of Chances? *Likely replacement if demoted listed in parentheses?
Out of Chances
- Aroldis Chapman, NYY: 7 ER, 5 H, 2 HR, 5 BB in last 4.1 IP. He has been officially removed from the closer’s role. Dellin Betances got the save chance on Saturday. 8/19/17
- Bud Norris, LAA: 13 ER, 6 BB, 10 H, 2 blown saves, 3 losses in last 4.2 IP over 7 appearances. He pitched the 8th inning with a 3-0 lead on August 10th, indicating that a change has been made. Cam Bedrosian pitched the 9th inning with a 6-3 lead and picked up the save. 8/10/17
- Jim Johnson, ATL: 8 blown saves in 30 attempts. Arodys Vizcaino got the save chance on August 3rd after Johnson was used in the 7th, indicating that a change has been made. 8/3/17
- Santiago Casilla, OAK: 6 blown saves in 22 attempts. Blake Treinen has gotten the team’s last 2 save chances since manager Bob Melvin indicated that there could be a chance at closer. 7/31/17
- Seung Hwan Oh, STL: 11 ER, 19 H, 3 losses, 1 blown save in 13 IP from June 11th thru July 14th. Trevor Rosenthal is expected to take on closer duties as of July 18th.
- Matt Bush, TEX: 4 blown saves in last 8 chances; 11 ER, 5 BB, 4 HR in last 10.1 IP. Closer committee (Kela, Leclerc, Claudio, Bush) as of 7/1/17.
- Tony Watson, PIT: 12 ER, 22 H, 4 blown saves in 14 IP from 5/9-6/7. Removed from closer’s role on 6/9/17.
- Glen Perkins was activated from the 60-Day DL. He’s not expected to take on a high-leverage role right away with the Twins, but could work his way into the mix if he proves that he’s back to his pre-injury form. 8/17/17
- The White Sox traded Tyler Clippard to the Astros, where he’ll work in a setup/middle relief role. Juan Minaya, Jake Petricka and Gregory Infante are the leading candidates for save chances with the White Sox. 8/13/17
- Mark Melancon was activated from the 10-Day DL. He’s expected to pitch in a low-leverage role with the Giants for the time being. He threw a scoreless 9th with his team losing 3-1 on Saturday. 8/12/17
- The Angels are moving away from Bud Norris as their closer. Cam Bedrosian converted a save chance on Thursday. He is the favorite to close from this point on. Keynan Middleton, Yusmeiro Petit and Blake Parker are also options. 8/11/17
- Arodys Vizcaino appears to have take over as the Braves’ closer after getting a save chance on Wednesday while Jim Johnson (8 blown saves) pitched in the 7th inning. 8/2/17
- The Nationals acquired Brandon Kintzler from the Twins. Both teams are likely to go with a committee until a primary closer emerges. 7/31/17