Roster Resource’s Closer Depth Chart will be updated no later than 11AM ET each day.
*Roster Resource’s MLB Power Ranking is based on Year-To-Date Production using several weighted categories.
Notable Workloads 5/22/18
(pitcher most likely to get save opportunity if closer is unavailable is listed in parentheses)
- Jeurys Familia, NYM: 3 of last 4 days; 14 pitches yesterday (Familia is likely available)
- 05/14/2018: Keynan Middleton (LAA) was placed on the 10-Day DL with a sprained elbow. He could require season-ending Tommy John surgery.
- 05/13/2018: Manager Gabe Kapler has confirmed that the Phillies do not have a set closer. Edubray Ramos picked up the save in Sunday’s game while Hector Neris is still in the mix for saves, along with Tommy Hunter, Seranthony Dominguez and Luis Garcia.
- 05/09/18: Tyler Clippard (TOR) got the first save chance since Roberto Osuna was placed on Administrative Leave.
- 05/09/18: Darren O’Day (BAL) has been placed on the 10-Day DL with a hyperextended elbow. He’s expected to return when eligible. Brad Brach got the save chance in Thursday’s game.
- 05/09/18: Corey Knebel (MIL) has been activated from the disabled list. He pitched in the 7th inning with a 4-0 deficit in Thursday’s game.
- 05/08/2018: Roberto Osuna (TOR) has been placed on Administrative Leave after he was arrested on Tuesday morning for domestic assault.
- 05/01/18: Keynan Middleton (LAA) was placed on the 10-Day DL with elbow inflammation. Justin Anderson appears to be the leading candidate for save chances with Cam Bedrosian, Jim Johnson and Blake Parker also in the mix.
- 04/20/18: Darren O’Day (BAL) converted a save opportunity on Friday, three days after Brad Brach pitched in the 7th inning with his team down by one run. O’Day, at least, appears to be the Orioles’ top candidate for save chances.
- 04/09/18: Greg Holland (STL) was recalled from the minors. It’s unclear if he’ll be the team’s closer on Monday or if he’ll be eased in with a few non-save appearances.
- 04/06/18: The Brewers have placed Corey Knebel (MIL) on the 10-Day DL with a hamstring injury. He’s expected to miss at least 4-6 weeks. They will use a closer-by-committee in the meantime, likely consisting of Jacob Barnes, Matt Albers, Josh Hader and Jeremy Jeffress.
- 03/29/18: The Giants have placed Mark Melancon (SF) on the 10-Day DL, retroactive to March 26th, with a strained flexor. There is no timetable for his return. Hunter Strickland will be closer while Melancon is out.
- 03/29/18: The Rangers have named Keone Kela as the team’s closer.
- 03/29/18: The Cardinals have agreed to terms with Greg Holland on a one-year, $14MM contract. He is expected to start the season with High-A Palm Beach. He could join the team in mid-to-late April. He is expected to be the closer, although it is unclear how long it will take him to claim the job.
- 03/29/18: The Cardinals have placed Luke Gregerson (strained hamstring) on the 10-Day DL, retroactive to March 26th. Dominic Leone and Tyler Lyons are expected to share the closer duties with Greg Holland expected to take over at some point in late April.
- 03/27/18: Diamondbacks have named Brad Boxberger as the team’s closer. Archie Bradley remains in a multi-inning setup role.
- 12/20/17: Orioles closer Zach Britton expected to miss 4-6 months with a ruptured Achilles’ tendon. Brad Brach is in line to close games until Britton returns.