Roster Resource’s Closer Depth Chart will be updated no later than 12PM EST each day.
*Roster Resource’s MLB Power Ranking is based on Year-To-Date Production using several weighted categories.
Notable Closer Workloads (10/2/17) *Likely replacement if unavailable listed in parentheses
Notable Closer Injuries
- Mark Melancon, SF (Forearm surgery, 9/12/17) Update: Expected to be ready for Spring Training 2018
- Trevor Rosenthal, STL (60-Day DL. Tommy John surgery, retro 8/17/17) Update: Out 12-16 months.
Running Out Of Chances? *Likely replacement if demoted listed in parentheses?
Out of Chances
- Kelvin Herrera, KC: 3 ER, 9 H, 2 HR, 6 BB in last 5 IP; removed from game twice with forearm discomfort during this span. He has been officially removed from the closer’s role. Scott Alexander, Brandon Maurer and Mike Minor will share the closer’s job. 9/8/17
- Aroldis Chapman, NYY: 7 ER, 5 H, 2 HR, 5 BB in last 4.1 IP. He has been officially removed from the closer’s role. Dellin Betances got the save chance on Saturday. 8/19/17
- Bud Norris, LAA: 13 ER, 6 BB, 10 H, 2 blown saves, 3 losses in last 4.2 IP over 7 appearances. He pitched the 8th inning with a 3-0 lead on August 10th, indicating that a change has been made. Cam Bedrosian pitched the 9th inning with a 6-3 lead and picked up the save. 8/10/17
- Jim Johnson, ATL: 8 blown saves in 30 attempts. Arodys Vizcaino got the save chance on August 3rd after Johnson was used in the 7th, indicating that a change has been made. 8/3/17
- Santiago Casilla, OAK: 6 blown saves in 22 attempts. Blake Treinen has gotten the team’s last 2 save chances since manager Bob Melvin indicated that there could be a chance at closer. 7/31/17
- Seung Hwan Oh, STL: 11 ER, 19 H, 3 losses, 1 blown save in 13 IP from June 11th thru July 14th. Trevor Rosenthal is expected to take on closer duties as of July 18th.
- Matt Bush, TEX: 4 blown saves in last 8 chances; 11 ER, 5 BB, 4 HR in last 10.1 IP. Closer committee (Kela, Leclerc, Claudio, Bush) as of 7/1/17.
- Tony Watson, PIT: 12 ER, 22 H, 4 blown saves in 14 IP from 5/9-6/7. Removed from closer’s role on 6/9/17.
- Zach Britton is unlikely to pitch again in 2017 due to knee discomfort. Brad Brach will take over closer duties for the remainder of the season. 9/20/17
- Jeurys Familia was activated from the 60-Day DL. He will be eased into a high-leverage bullpen role with the Mets. A.J. Ramos remains the closer. 8/25/17
- Orioles closer Zach Britton had his consecutive save streak end at 60 when he couldn’t hold a 7-5 lead in Wednesday’s game. The streak began on October 1, 2015. 8/23/17
- Trevor Rosenthal will undergo Tommy John surgery next week, which will keep him out of action until the 2019 season. He has one year of club control remaining with the Cardinals, who are unlikely to tender him a contract after the season. 8/23/17
- Glen Perkins was activated from the 60-Day DL. He’s not expected to take on a high-leverage role right away with the Twins, but could work his way into the mix if he proves that he’s back to his pre-injury form. 8/17/17
- The White Sox traded Tyler Clippard to the Astros, where he’ll work in a setup/middle relief role. Juan Minaya, Jake Petricka and Gregory Infante are the leading candidates for save chances with the White Sox. 8/13/17
- Mark Melancon was activated from the 10-Day DL. He’s expected to pitch in a low-leverage role with the Giants for the time being. He threw a scoreless 9th with his team losing 3-1 on Saturday. 8/12/17
- The Angels are moving away from Bud Norris as their closer. Cam Bedrosian converted a save chance on Thursday. He is the favorite to close from this point on. Keynan Middleton, Yusmeiro Petit and Blake Parker are also options. 8/11/17
- Arodys Vizcaino appears to have take over as the Braves’ closer after getting a save chance on Wednesday while Jim Johnson (8 blown saves) pitched in the 7th inning. 8/2/17
- The Nationals acquired Brandon Kintzler from the Twins. Both teams are likely to go with a committee until a primary closer emerges. 7/31/17